Background

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Mini Pies

The other night I had leftover taco meat.  I did not really feel like making tacos again. However I thought I could try my hand at homemade empanadas. Boy were they good! My dear husband and I loved them...dipped in chunky salsa. If you have leftover taco meat - this is your go-to recipe.

Beef Empanadas
inspired by: http://www.eatliverun.com/homemade-beef-empanadas/
gluten free pastry dough: http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/gluten-free-tomato-tart-rich-savory-pie-crust/

Pastry
1 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend (this blend is good)
1/2 t salt
1 stick UNsalted butter, cut up into chunks
1 egg yolk, mixed with 1/2 cup COLD water
1/2 cup shredded cheese

In a food processor combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add cheese, Slowly add egg and water mixture (until it just comes together - NOTE: I did not use all of it).  Remove from processor bowl wrap in plastic wrap for a few hours in the fridge.
Roll out and place about 1-2T meat mixture in the middle of cut out circles (about 3 inches across. Pinch and seal edges. Bake at 400 for about 20-25minutes.  This would be just as tasty if you made a rustic pie by using a larger slab of dough. Tasty and very flaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment