Background

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Boxed No More

My boys absolutely LOVE boxed macaroni and cheese.  Typically if I try and make it from scratch, they will give it a wrinkled nose, a sneer, and an "Ewww we don't like this, Mom!" (even if they have not even tried a bite).  However tonight was a different story; it was a huge hit. My mom reminds me that my grandma used to make macaroni and cheese like this (Thank you for sharing Grandma's recipe, Mom!)

Grandma's Macaroni & Cheese (The Best Ever)

1 (16oz) pkg medium sized noodles (I used large elbows), cooked just slightly under al dente
1 stick butter/margarine
6 T flour (mixed with 1/2 t each onion powder, garlic powder, and dry mustard)
5 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheese (I used a cup of each white cheddar and yellow cheddar)

Grease a large corning-ware oven-safe dish or 9x13pan.  Cook noodles.  Drain.  Return to the pot.  Stir in the butter (until melted and every noodle is covered).  Sprinkle flour all over until all the pasta is coated. Place half the noodles in the pan; top with half the cheese.  Repeat. Pour milk all over.  Bake (covered) at 350 for an hour.  I served with hot dogs on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment