Background

Friday, June 14, 2013

Slightly Tart Sweet Treat

When we bought our house 2 1/2 years ago, I was delighted (as well as my mom) to discover that I had rhubarb plants growing in the yard.  Ever since then I have been experimenting with many recipes.  A few weeks back I made some rhubarb cobbler...it was so delicious. I cannot wait to make it again (and serve it piping hot from the oven).

Rhubarb Cobbler
adapted from: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/rhubarb-cobbler/

4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 t salt
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t almond extract, optional (I recommend adding it)
2 cups flour
2 T sugar
1/4 t salt
1 T baking powder
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

In a bowl combine rhubarb, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 t salt, lemon juice and almond extract.  Stir well.
In another bowl (or food processor bowl) cut butter and shortening into flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.  Combine milk and egg in a bowl.  Slowly add to butter/flour mixture.  Place rhubarb mixture into a greased 9x13pan.  Drop dough by clumps onto rhubarb mixture.  Bake at 400 for 25minutes (until bubbly and smelling yummy)!  Serve with ice cream and/or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment