Background

Friday, February 1, 2013

Fondue, Soup Or Both

Today I had a wild hair. I thought I would try my hand at making potato soup in the crockpot (with fresh potatoes) rather than the frozen variety.  Very glad I did.  This meal was great. Serve cheesy breadsticks on the side....mmm.  This particular soup tastes a lot like my favorite cheese fondue.

Slow Cooker Beer & Cheese Potato Chowder
adapted from: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-beer-and-cheese-potato-chowder/f9b9cf47-0866-4503-af74-5eb521be80cc

6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used Yukon gold)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped (I used 2 handfuls of baby carrots)
4 garlic cloves
2 cups chicken broth
1 (12oz) beer (used a German lager from Costco)
2 cups cheese, shredded (used a mixture of Jack and Cheddar)
1/2 cup half-n-half

In 4-quart crockpot, combine potatoes, onion, carrots, and garlic cloves.  Pour broth and beer over all. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.  Before serve mash all ingredients together in crockpot. (I used my immersion blender).  Mixture will be VERY thick.  Add half-n-half.  Stir. Cover for about 20 minutes.  Stir in cheese. Cover and cook and additional 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment