Background

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Interesting Flavors...Interesting Method

Over the past year (plus) I have been eyeing an intriguing recipe.  However I have not tried it until last night....it was so good. I wish I would have tried it sooner but oh well.  (I did not get a grill until this last summer - so just a year - did not think I should try it in the oven.)

Beer Can Grilled Chicken
adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/pats-beer-can-grilled-chicken-recipe/index.html

4pound whole chicken, giblets & neck removed (washed and dried)
1/3 cup canola oil
2-4 T chicken rub (see recipe below-store remainder in an airtight container for another use)
1 (12oz) CANNED beer (I used a Scottish Ale - what my husband thought would taste good) - drink about 1/4 cup worth yourself first

Chicken Rub

2 T smoked paprika
2 T salt
2 T onion powder
1 T cayenne
1 T cumin
2 t dried thyme
2 t dried oregano
2 t black pepper
2 t garlic powder

After washing/drying the chicken, rub down with oil. Sprinkle and massage between 2-4 T rub into chicken all over skin.  (I refrigerated  in a 9x13 foil pan covered in plastic wrap at this point for a couple hours to allow seasonings to penetrate a little.)  Place chicken on top of open beer can (upright on pan or directly on a HIGH heated grill).  Cook for about 1-1/2 hours (more or less) just until thermometer reads 165* when tested with a thermometer in the thigh.
Serve with coleslaw and corn muffins (I found a new favorite, recipe on another post).

No comments:

Post a Comment