Background

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Meal Fit For Growing Boys

With the weather on the cooler side and not quite where the temperatures were last week, I have resorted to using my trusty crockpot A LOT.   I love how easy it is - dump in ingredients and ignore for several hours (after turning it on first).  I love it.  I thought I would try a meatloaf in the crockpot.  Though I was a little leery at first to try such a feat, it turned out awe-mazingly well.  I served this with homemade bread, corn and scalloped potatoes.

Comfort Meat Loaf
adapted from: Fix It & Forget It Recipes For Entertaining

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup bread crumbs (I used leftover Italian Herb Bread Crumbs)
2 T onion, diced
1 t salt
1 T minced garlic
1 1/2 pound ground beef

2 cups brown gravy
3/4 cup diced mushrooms

Combine everything except for gravy and mushrooms.  Place in well-greased crockpot.  Cover and cook on low for 5.5 hours.  Then put in diced mushrooms and gravy.  Cook on high for about 1 hour.


The scalloped potatoes were to die for also.

Tyler Florence's Scalloped Potato Gratin
adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/scalloped-potato-gratin-recipe/index.html

1 1/2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
2 -3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
2 pounds (about 7) Yukon Gold / Yellow Potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (I used my mandoline)
1 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan (NOT the stuff in the green jars)

Place cream and garlic in a small saucepan - heat on low with you peel and slice potatoes . Grease a 9x13 pan well.  Preheat oven to 375. Layer part of potatoes in pan (overlap slightly).  Pour on a little cream; sprinkle with Parmesan. Repeat until all ingredients are gone (about 3-4 times total.)  Bake for about 45 minutes.  Turn heat up to 425 just to brown the top (if not browned already) for about 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment