Background

Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Breath of Fresh Air

The smell of homemade bread is one of my absolute favorites.  When I was younger, my mom would often times make her own bread.  My brothers, sisters and I would just wait patiently for that perfect loaf of bread to come out of the oven.  Mom would let it cool ever so slightly, butter us each a slice and top it with cinnamon sugar.  Heavenly!  Recently I attended a garage sale with one of my friends. It was at the first when I spotted it.  I found a 1.5 lb bread maker (marked at $5...I got it for $2).  I have made bread a couple times in it.  Both times have turned out wonderful.   BAP and SSP are ravage animals when it comes to any type of bread.  I think they come running when the smell homemade bread cooking, as I did when I was younger.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread
The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook

1/3 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 T butter, cubed
2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 T +1t gluten (omitted)
2 t salt (omitted)
2 1/2 t yeast

Combine all ingredients in bread machine, as directed by manufacturer.  Set for medium crust (I made the mistake of just doing light crust; the bread turned out to be under done) on basic bread.  


Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
https://quietmint.com/2010/jalapeno-cheese-cornbread/

3 jalapenos, minced super fine
3 T water
3/4 cup sour cream (I used buttermilk and it turned out fine)
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 t salt
1 T sugar
2 2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 t yeast
3/4 cup grated cheese

Combine all ingredients (minus the cheese) in bread machine, as directed by manufacturer.  Set for medium crust on basic bread.  Add cheese when machine tells you to add nuts/fruits setting (or just before 2nd mixing).

No comments:

Post a Comment