Background

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sweet...Sour... & Everything In Between

The other day Mom and I were in my backyard and we noticed there was a gooseberry bush just LOADED with berries. She mentioned that they would make a great pie or jam. hmm...I smelled another project cooking up. Oh, how I love love to bake.


Gooseberry Pie

Filling
3 1/2 cups gooseberries (I was a cup short so I added a cup of whole cranberries)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 t salt
2 T instant Tapicoa
1 t orange zest
Combine and let rest about 15 minutes.


Pie Crust (not the one I used but it is the best)
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled & diced
1/4 iced water

Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until course crumbs form. Drizzle in water to make a ball of dough. Chill at least 4 hours.


Streusel Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/8 cup flour
3/8 cup oatmeal
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1/4 cup butter, cut into above until crumbly.

Place chilled rolled out pie crust in a greased pie pan. Add filling. Top with streusel. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Crank up the heat to 450-475 and just cook until golden brown and slightly bubbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment