Background

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Good For Body & Soul

Last week SSP had a bad case of runny stinky diapers. It was so NASTY to change him. I had never seen anything like it before (lasting so long). So on Wednesday I convinced myself to 'buckle down' and take him to the doctor's office. (He had had this awfulness since Saturday). I was really getting sick of changing multiple stinkies in one day...too much for this squeamish mommy. Doctor S suggested just plain old chicken rice soup (rice to 'plug up' and chicken for the tummy to feel better). Okay. It works like a charm; try it next time. BAP did not want it for dinner (typical about trying something new). I told him he needed to try it; he ate 2 BIG bowlfulls after he tried it and decided he liked it.



Chicken Rice Soup

1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, shredded
handful of baby carrots, shredded
1 t Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
2 quarts chicken stock
1 cup water
1 cup white rice (uncooked)
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken breasts [place chicken breast in boiling water (in a separate pot, not soup)--cook about 7 minutes until done--remove shred with 2 forks and cool]
salt/pepper

Saute veggies in olive oil in soup pot until just soft. Add spices and liquid. Add rice and chicken. Cook until rice is soft about 30 minutes (I covered my pot and it went a little faster).

No comments:

Post a Comment